Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Character: Barack Obama the Definition



People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I think that Eleanor Roosevelt would have liked Barack Obama.

The preceding sentence may be one of the oddest sentences I have ever written. The rise of Barack Obama to the position of president elect has given me opportunities to construct many new thoughts. I have been given the unique opportunity to be a part of history, the election of Barack Obama to the presidency of the United States. This election has caused me to question the concept that I have held about the true nature of America. The America I thought I new before the last election, has changed before my eyes into something that I have yet to understand. The election of Obama has demonstrated to me that in this country anything is possible.

Meeting life honestly and courageously is the definition of how Barack became President -elect of the United States. I think that the theme of Barack’s campaign “Yes We Can” is the truest form of facing life honestly and courageously. Barack Obama made a cynical country believe in itself again.

John F. Kennedy stated “Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other “and I think Barack Obama is a man that understands that he is still learning.

I think that John F. Kennedy would have liked Barack Obama.

“A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus” is what Martin Luther King Jr. once said. I think that Barack Obama has molded the consensus of a nation. With the election of Barack Obama America has passed a test that asked difficult questions. The test of America as a nation asked whether we were able to elect a man of character, no matter what color his skin was. The test of America asked whether we as a country could move past 200 years of racism. The test of America asked could we come together as a nation and change our direction. America was able to take the test and pass. That is what the election of Barack Obama says about where our country is today.

I don’t for a minute think that Barack Obama would have been elected if not for the quality of his character. A black man in America must be almost perfect to have a chance at the same job or position as a flawed white man. Just look at the last president. Let us not forget that he won twice. I am forever thankful that America produced a leader like Barack Obama. The dream of Martin Luther King Jr. stated:

” I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”



That dream has been fulfilled.

I think that Martin Luther King Jr. would have liked Barack Obama.

I think that most people of character like Barack Obama because in him they see themselves. I see in Barack Obama what I wish to see in myself and my sons -character.

No comments: