Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Barack Obama and the perfect union





“We the people, in order to form a more perfect union” Barack Obama President elect
To form a more a perfect union, because the union is perfect, but could be more perfect. I think that when I first heard those words I did not understand the real meaning. I have spent time pondering what a more perfect union could be. I also thought about how in my everyday life I could use more perfect unions. My reflections on the election of Barack Obama have given me the opportunity to look at all the union I have in my life.


Happy life I live, I think. The unions in my life are the cement that holds my life together. The unions in my life are my life.


The unions in my life, relationships with friends and family, are what motivate me always strive for excellence. The question that I have is concerning, what is a perfect union? And do I have any perfect unions in my life. If I find that I have a perfect union in my life, would I want to make it more perfect?
The philosophy that I have lived by has always been live and let live. The live and let live does not leave a lot of room for perfect unions. Live and, maybe I should upgrade my philosophy on life to achieve perfect unions.


The first union in my adult life was my marriage. I met, I dated, and I married. This is not the best road to follow when looking for a life mate. That marriage union did not last long, and it was far from perfect. I did learn that loving, laughing, learning, and loving were part of what it takes to be successful at marriage. Just because I had marriage and a baby carriage did not mean I had a meaningful union, and without meaning marriage could never be perfect.


The second union in my life is where I found meaning. My son Stephan and I have a union. My son Sterling and I have a union. My son Syd and I have a union. It is from these unions that I found what a union was. The bond I have with my sons is a true union. I pledge to be there, teaching, protecting, and guiding them into adulthood. My sons pledge to do their best in everything they attempt. The union I have with my sons may be the closest thing to a perfect union that I have I my life.


The union in ours lives is what holds us together as a people. The union of a people is what holds together a nation. The nation is what holds together a people. The perfect union is the circle of people needing people, and a nation needing people. The United States need its people as much as its people need the United States.
Barack Obama understands that we need each other in order for the country to be the best it can be. “Yes we Can” was the theme of his election. In order for us to form a more perfect union we must work on all the unions in our lives. Barack Obama reminded America that all unions are important. Black and white, rich and poor, we must all come together like the founding fathers did when they formed this nation.


America thirsts for hope. America hungers for change. Barack Obama has a key insight into feeding America what she needs. Lady Liberty has a champion in Barack Obama. Change is what America cried out for, and the election of Barack Obama was the answer to those cries.


“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”Preamble to the United States Constitution
As an African American man those words did not have meaning, because my ancestors were slaves. Since the election of Barack Obama I feel as if I am now one of the people. It takes all the people in order for any of the people- to have a perfect union.

“I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother — a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.
These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love” Barack Obama President-elect Remarks of Senator Barack Obama
A More Perfect Union
Constitution Center
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania





The union that is America is not a perfect one. The union between America and its people is what is perfect. The union between the people of America could use more work, and it is that work that will make this country a more perfect union.
The notion of more perfect is now clear. Barack Obama has showed a country what it would take for it to be better. Obama never said that there was something wrong with this country. He just reminded us what it would take to make it better.

No comments: